Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my birthday so I decided to share a This Day in History Post to mix it up a little, I'll add commentary to events I know something about.


I found this one interesting:
On Jan. 3, 1959, President Eisenhower signed a proclamation admitting Alaska to the Union as the 49th state.


I share my birthday with some famous people: 
On Jan. 3, 1793, Lucretia Mott, an early proponent of the women's rights movement in America, was born. 
January 3, 1892 J.R.R. Tolkien, author of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
January 3, 1956  Mel Gibson, Actor, director
January 3, 1975 Danica McKellar, Actress ("The Wonder Years")




This one is pretty cool as I've supported The March of Dimes for a long time: 
1938: The March of Dimes campaign to fight polio begins


Here is one more, an enlightening one:
1521: Martin Luther is excommunicated from the Catholic Church
 (if only we all had his conviction to stand up for what we believe



On This Day: January 3 - NYTimes.com:  Check out fun and interesting bits for any day!
As a homeschool Mom I love finding sites like this to help make learning a little more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment