Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Harvest Season part 2 Homemade broth saves money

We recently purchased a half a beef from one of my husband's customers. We split that half into 1/3 and 2/3 and shared it with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. So I know have a freezer stocked with beef. Lots of ground beef in 2lb packages, steaks 3 to a package as the boys share 1, roasts in a variety, and misc stew meat, and soup bones.  We ended up paying about $3.00 lb for the beef which worked out to be a good deal especially since the ground beef is very lean.  How does that fit into the harvest season? Well, the beef was ready the beginning of August just like the beginning of the harvest season.
Now what are we going to do with all of this?
So far I have made spaghetti sauce only once,  hamburgers several times on the BBQ,  taco casserole, homemade sausage and hamburger jerky. 
We had a wonderful Italian pot roast last night with fresh garden veggies simmered with Italian Seasoning.  
Before I made the roast though, I made a batch of Beef Broth. I have mentioned making broth on our Facebook page before and thought this would be a perfect opportunity to share how I do it.
I LOVE using broth for rice, veggies, pasta, soup, etc. I don't love the price or the sodium content.

I started with 1 package of soup bones (neck bones this time) and my crock pot.
I added  1/2 glove elephant garlic, 1/2 sweet onion, 1 bay leaf, and 1 Tablespoon of salt to the crock-pot and filled it with water (3 1/2 qts) turned it on high and walked away.
I cooked it all day Sunday (from 1:30 until 7:30) and then turned it onto the "keep warm" setting over night as I didn't want to deal with it that late Sunday evening.




Monday morning I skimmed the fat off the top and put it into pint jars.
7 pint jars of strained broth into the pressure cooker.  Refer to you canning/ preserving books for guide (pressure and time can vary)

Now I have 7 pints of beef broth ready for soups, rice, pasta, veggies, etc...















I have been known to buy some broth in cans when I find an amazing sale (usually with coupons during Thanksgiving) but beef is always more expensive. This way I have it ready and it didn't cost nearly what it would have otherwise.

Do you use your own broth? How do you save it?

No comments:

Post a Comment