Sunday, June 10, 2012

Post Champions for Kids helping support Literacy in our Community. #PostCFK


Bowls of Hope
We were first introduced to the SIMPLE service Projects with Champions for Kids back in August with the Elmer's Bag it Forward program then at Christmas and through out the beginning of 2012. We love these projects so when we heard the Champions for Kids had a new project Post Bowls of Hope we were eager to get started. I kept thinking I wanted to do something more than just a simple food drive to donate to the local food bank, it was time to think outside of the box. (pun intended).
The boys are participating in the local Library Summer Reading program and I thought this would be a great way to do our project. Why not donate to the Summer Reading program? Our local community has a high number of children that participate in the Free Breakfast / Lunch program at the local school, even during the summer, however that still leaves the weekends and snacks. Cereal is a great snack and perfect for weekend breakfasts. So, the boys and I decided we would collect donations of boxed cereal for the #PostCFK project
Our local Walmart has a large section of the cereal aisle dedicated to Post brand cereals, so we picked up two extra boxes of Honey Bunches of Oats the family favorite around here to start the donation drive off.

We started off the donation box with the Buy 2 give 1 idea but we ended up buying 3 and donating 2 to the box. 
I printed up a sign for the side of a tote box where donations could be left.
I took the box with me to our local homeschool co-op used curriculum sale where I had hoped to get a couple boxes, I also took the box to a local Mom's group clothing swap where I got a couple boxes donated. The majority of the donations came from Ladies Night Out , an evening activitiy where local Moms and Mom businesses could meet each other and interact. 20 boxes of cereal later my tote bins were filled to over flowing and my heart was bursting know that we would be helping local families in a little way.
I am so excited for the opening day of the Summer Reading Program on June 13th where I will be able to bring a small bit of help to families in the community and help support local literacy at the same time. This is not the last project we will do, I love to do what we can to help our neighbors and the community even something as simple as a box of cereal and as the summer goes on we will work with the local gleaners to harvest farm fresh produce and donate it to local food banks and soup kitchens.
Check out our entire photo journey HERE on Google+
Bowls of Hope


Get social with Post and Champions for Kids on Twitter and Facebook :Post Cereal on Facebook,  Post on Twitter ,  Champions for Kids on Twitter , and   Champions for Kids on Facebook




I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™. #CBias #SocialFabric

No comments:

Post a Comment